10/04/2004

Talking about loneliness, I think understand you completely. I used to feel that way all the time, that loneliness is a matter of the soul. Sometimes I felt even more alone when I was with another person. I think we all enjoy different types of companies, of the mind, of the heart, of the physical presence, of fun, of daily life, but these companies are never eternal. It is because the mind, the heart, the body, and other "possessions", are not our true self, but only what we temporarily occupy in our life, and these things change over our lifetime. Sometimes we mistaken these lesser togetherness as something more meaningful than they really are. I guess the trick is to realize that everyone is always alone, but in the great scheme of the universe, we are always together as one big entity. I often think, in my more enlightened days, I have seen that I am one with the whole world, so I don't regard me as a single person who is separated from others and longing for togetherness. Sometimes I take myself less seriously and think, who am I to demand others to understand me.

There are always times that we feel alone, and times that we feel connected. Ups and downs, highs and lows, fast and slow, different shades of colors,.... I don't think anything about life really last forever. I am in a low state right now and I don't even have the energy or the desire to pull myself out. I try to do things that I enjoy (I just finished reading a novel today), not the things I feel I should do. What else can I do but the things that Ah-San in her low state would do?! But I know that the time will come when I will rise again and ride atop the waves.

======
I read this passage of Gibran some years ago. It's rather gloomy:

Life is an island in an ocean of loneliness, an island whose rocks are hopes, whose trees are dreams, whose flowers are solitude, and whose brooks are thirst.

Your life, my fellow men, is an island separated from all other islands and regions. No matter how many are the ships that leave your shores for other climes, no matter how many are the fleets that touch your coast, you remain a solitary island, suffering the pangs of loneliness and yearning for happiness. You are unknown to your fellow men and far removed from their sympathy and understanding.

....

Your spirit's life, my brother, is encompassed by loneliness, and were it not for that loneliness and solitude, you would not be *you*, nor would I be *I*. Were it not for this loneliness and solitude, I would come to believe on hearing your voice that it was my voice speaking; or seeing your face, that it was myself looking into a mirror.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home