5/27/2004

email reply from master.

L45L-Subject: thank you for answers #2 Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 00:00:17 -0400

> I think the book title should be: "From Beijing to Being", or "From Beijing to Becoming".

"From Beijing to Being" is an excellent title. Impactful, mysterious, full of promises. The second is not that great, since it has little impact in its unfinished vagueness.

> I am putting some old diary into e-book and found quite good passage about my struggle to "compromise" the world. Even just four years ago I wrote: "Is there nothing eternal, nothing perfect, nothing ideal? I am the most contradictory person. On one hand I am pure and idealistic, and on the other hand I'm mature and wise. From this ugly, dirty, confusing world, I want to find something beautiful, pure, and orderly. Maybe myself is a mistake. But I do not want to change. I'd rather want to be a fool. I believe the existence of perfection."

:)

Well, isn't all this a good snapshot of the destiny and nature of a Seeker?

Btw, from a language point of view: "Maybe I am myself a mistake" ("a mistake of sorts" would be cuter) would be the proper form. But from a literary standpoint effect, I'd write it this way: "Maybe I myself am a mistake of sorts".

And its "I believe IN the..."

> Thank you for many answers about the drug-induced altered state. I trust your judgment. I think perhaps because you and I are both serious about the pursuit of knowledge, and you are so much wiser than me, I feel safe just to be a dwarf standing on your shoulder.

Gosh, it's nice to read, but I am no god. At least, no more a god than you are. ;)

And maybe I am not wiser really, just older? Or perhaps I *am* wiser, who knows? :) But I am not sure there is any merit in that.

In any event, any shoulder we can stand on, in all logic, should allow the one on the shoulder to see further than the one offering the shoulder, is that not so?

Of course, writing this is just playing on the virtues of the image itself, as if the map was the territory. But that wordplay seems to have some validity, and perhaps this should be the ultimate goal of anyone offering a shoulder to anyone.

> I like the way you describe the path of the wise men and women of old. It is so true that I "manifested a master" when I need one badly. It just occurred to me that both my "enlightenment" experiences happened when I was dating some arrogant, smart philosopher Ph.D.'s and I wanted more answers than they could provide, so I found *you*, and bingo, and enlightenment!

Well, not really. :) "Awakening" is what it was, according to the definition of "Enlightenment" being a permanent state, and Awakening the same thing, but of a transitory nature.

And are you saying you sort of got awakened three years ago as well?

> So now I know what I shall do for the next time. :) j/k of course. But I am so glad you are there and you are willing to point me in a direction.

Well, I was always there. It's just you who weren't ready to make use of me. While now you were. That's all. :)

This being said, in a way, we are just the production of our interactions with our Selves, our Universe, and with the other sentient beings that populate it.

Even if, at another level, all these things, we first chose, and summoned into being. Before they were in any way manifested. (Which is the theme of Thea Alexander's "2150 AD".)

And, at least if we look at what's happening at the "consensual reality" intersection of these personal Pocket Universes, maybe any of us isn't that great of a designer... ;)

Who knows?

> And it is such a comfort to know that there are many people who had gone before me.

Indeed, we are not original in any way. ;) I just wish there were more people wandering on the same pathway. If it was so, the world would assuredly be less messy a place...

> It must be a comfort to those before me that I am willing to follow their path.

If they somehow perceive it, I am sure they are proud of us. ;) However, perhaps we should also consider that maybe they actually want to write "Could do better", or something to that effect, on our Cosmic report cards... If I were any of them, I sure would feel the itch...

> And I hope I will find my way, and be a comfort to those who will come after me.

You sure are on your way already.

Being there for the next ones, I guess that also could be what differentiates the purely self-centered trip usually the result of chemical indulgences from the substance of what could be called a True Path.

> Right now I am relatively calm and have less questions. I still have questions, but not urgent.

Questions are just crutches too, in a way. At any rate, if nothing of what we do is truly of any importance, how could there be any urgency in any of the questions we might have?

> So my question is, is it normal for me to cruise for a while and enjoy my new being?

Why not? What makes *that* desire any less valid than any other?

However, just remember that in the end, the Teachings (as well as simple logic) show that all desires are just another form of Maya, and also, according to some, the begetters of all suffering.

> And when do I start my search again?

You never quit it. So you can't really start it again. It will always be there from now on. All what can happen is that Maya's veils enthrall your eyes for an instant...

> And what will that be?

If we talk about moments of intense search, the answer is whenever your Self will decide the time has come for the nest step. Don't worry, you will be the first to find out. ;)

> Will I ever outgrow you?

I certainly hope so! I share the view holding that the yardstick of a Master's ultimate success is when He can legitimately bow to the Disciple.

> When?

Now, *that* is another question. Now. Or never. Or anywhere in between. Who knows? :)

> Where did/do you find your masters?

First, there are relative Masters, and absolute Ones. From anyone who can play a localized and time-bound such function, to the Ones that transcend Time itself -- say, Avalokiteshvara. And anything in between.

When I was ready for them, I found them. Or they found me. Or I was found. Or IT in me was found. Remember the old saying: When the chela is ready, the Master appears.

> You probably sought/seek those more scholarly masters?

Of course I must confess I had/have such an inclination. ;) But again, no one can be perfect... :) So we might as well indulge in the inclinations of our hearts.

> It's nice of you to say that I might be smarter than you because I went through a lot of things in my recent experience. Or perhaps because I am Chinese and I live in the West, so I know a little something about various things, although not much. Or perhaps because you have been a good "master" for me and pointed me a more general way of Being.

I was just pinpointing a possibility. ;) One should always leave all possibilities open... :)

However, this also seems a good occasion to remind you that self-indulging in one's own greatness, and perhaps even more so, if it is real, or to some extent real, is also one of the most efficient traps the forces of our lives can set along our pathways...

Forces Of Our Lives, btw, acronyms to "fools"... Interesting, no? ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home