6/06/2004

I was reading something Dalai Lama said yesterday, about work. People divide into three equal groups when come to work. The first group view their work as a job, a mean to earn money. The second group view their work as a career, and they seek promotion and status. The third group view their work as a calling, and they find a higher meaning in what they do. Only the people in the third group is truly satisfied with their work. I think it is because the rewards in the first two groups are external. I was thinking, I can easily find higher meaning in my work (to discover the secrets of the solar system for mankind), but I feel my calling is elsewhere--I love thinking and writing. So right now, although I have one of the most interesting jobs in the world, I still view my work only as a job (first group). Today (Sunday) I want to change my attitude toward my work.

-- email excerpt to T.

For as long as space endures
And for as long as living beings remain,
Until then may I too abide
To dispel the misery of the world.

-- Dalai Lama's favorite verse, found in the writings of the renowned eighth century Buddhist saint Shantideva.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home