3/30/2001

How does a meta-career differ from just doing what interests me? For me, there are just too many things that interest me at once and I am not capable to sacrifice one thing for another. I am greedy. The only way out is to go beyond the concept of having to choose one over the other. Actually it might be quite simple as to how to realize this meta-career. Maybe it's not some strange career, but the difference is in the mind-set. Of course it is only me who has changed the attitude, because I'm the one who is recently enlightened from some super navie stage of mind.

Sometimes it takes me some laborious effort to understand some extremely simple idea that has been proven true or accepted for thousands of years. It seems like that I am so skeptical that I have to understand everything by my own reasoning...

Last night I read some journal I wrote 15 years ago when I was still in Beijing. I have forgotten how much I used to think and question back then. But it's also quite amazing that I have never read anything on subjects like philosophy. Maybe because of my lack of formal training in this field that I have always regarded myself as an inadequate thinker. A friend asked me on Monday week that what I liked to do when I was 15 that I still enjoyed to do now, trying to help me think about my career choice. I couldn't think of any other "long term" interests other than music and reading and writing. I forgot that I had always enjoyed thinking. Maybe I'm a natural thinker, and maybe, I hope, that I am smarter than I know.

So, that's some thoughts on the meta-career subject.

-- email excerpt to JF.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home