5/24/2005

I was looking at a photo in Physics Today of a "Dance for Physics". The first sentence reads "'All dance is about time, space and light,' says Mark Baldwin..." At this, I thought I might not appreciate how this choreographer illustrates his vision of time, space and light unless he explains it to me first. Then his art will fail to connect with me. Then I had a small realization in the spirit of the "force" (yes, I am watching Star Wars).

When we are reading a poem or watching a dance or listening to music, we are actually piercing into the creative mind of another person. The creativity comes from the universe and is imprinted in each of the creative minds. When we appreciate arts, we are appreciating the creative force of the universe through the artists. This way, we don't say, "This movie is bad; the director is bad", but "This director of this movie has a different perception of the world from mine", thus we gain a better understanding of the world even when we are watching a movie not so agreeable. (Of course this is not to say that we should not use our time wisely to make a preference of what we do. We should always optimize our learning and experience when we have a choice.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home