5/15/2004

email to Master:

Work is love made visible - Gibran

I learned some new terms, or labels, of what I had already known.

Today is actually a first day that I can analyze the experience in an intellectual way. A lot of thinking. I got the book by Dorothea Singer "Giordano Bruno, His Life and Thoughts; On the Infinite Universe and Worlds". This is the same translation as the one on the web. Is this not a good translation? I read the Bruno's introduction and was moved by his passion for his pursuit. I also read the first few arguments of the first dialogue, mainly about the existence of the infinity, or Infinity. I simply love the concept of Absolute Infinity. Being able to "define" something because I'm unable to define it in any other known form, shows the imagination and the power of being a human, and shows the grace of Truth.

Was thinking these following thoughts earlier in the afternoon (surprisingly my feeling were very religious):

What does this mean? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?? I am still contemplating. Never ending..... endless wonders, raptures of the mind....

Through all my doubts, and all my doubts of doubts, I am becoming a believer. The more I doubt, the more I believe.

The realization that there is Supreme Being (let me call IT "Infinity" rather than "God").... I truly bow down and am in complete AWE. I recognize the vastness and omnipower of Infinity, at the same time makes me recognize the omnipower of myself as an individual who can conceive such greatness. This theme of "both self and not-self" is reappearing (or reflected) in everything in this world.

"Being" is probably the best word for IT. It's almost everything -- an object, a subject, a process, an action, a state, a self, a whole, an equality, a journey, .... From Merriam-Webster dictionary online:

noun:
1 a : the quality or state of having existence
1 b (1) : something conceivable as existing
1 b (2) : something that actually exists
1 b (3) : the totality of existing things
1 c : conscious existence : LIFE
2 : the qualities that constitute an existent thing : ESSENCE; especially : PERSONALITY
3 : a living thing; especially : PERSON

verb (be):
1 a : to equal in meaning
1 b : to have identity with
1 c : to constitute the same class as
1 d : to have a specified qualification or characterization
1 e : to belong to the class of
2 a : to have an objective existence
2 b : to have, maintain, or occupy a place, situation, or position
2 c : to remain unmolested, undisturbed, or uninterrupted
2 d : to take place
2 e : to come or go
2 f archaic : BELONG, BEFALL

Questions for the Master:

1) Where does "epistemology" fit into this new awareness in me?

2) What is creativity? What is beauty? What is knowledge? Why?

3) I want to choose a subject or subjects of knowledge to study. I want to study something well, and to apply the knowledge of the Universe to the subject. This is to say, I want to project the Universe onto a subject, and make the wonders of the Universe visible and known to others. What are good subjects? Those mentioned in your previous emails about epistemology? I do want to use all my potential and ability to the best extend for this work.

3a) One area of interest might be the limitation of physical world, or physical science, in the understanding of the real world.

3b) What are the differences between men and women? Why there are seemingly more male thinkers than female thinkers? Is this a real subject to explore?

3c) How do different people reach the same state of awareness of ITS existence? What are the ways and paths? What are *all* the concepts (definitions) of Being, in terms of religion, philosophy, science & mathematics, relationships, spirituality, and everything else? Can we draw a comparison chart and unify everything? (Is everyone who first encounters IT so ambitious like me, wanting to create a universal concept?)

4) Is it an intrinsic desire for human beings to find order, to find meaning, to seek IT, and to finally concede?

5) I want a list of books to study. Maybe I should start reading about philosophy, to learn all the terms that can be readily accepted by others? Or religions? Or science and mathematics? Or other subjects? I have a lot of unread books on my shelves that I can use.

6) I am increasingly interested in using this term "projection" to describe the interaction, or the result of the interaction, of the Universe with individual. I don't know why I prefer this word. It must have its root in mathematics, especially in set theory (which I loved and hated when I learned it), with matrices and arrays and dimensions and "projection" and "eigenvalues" and concepts like these. I should review set theory though, for this is a very useful tool to map (or project, or project onto a map) the Universe. Everything in the universe is a projection, or an illusion, or a reality. Am I making these "new concepts" up?

Then again, it seems to me that all the concepts and ideas have always been there in the Universe. It is the proper (or random) interaction of me and the Universe that reveals certain ideas to me. This truly makes me humble.

I'm still contemplating. It seems that I want to say, "God exists". Now I start to understand Bruno, and Galileo, and Newton, and many humble inquiring minds in the past and the present. What more can I say?

IT is neat! And thank YOU!

love,

----
Projection (Merriam-Webster dictionary online)

1 a : a systematic presentation of intersecting coordinate lines on a flat surface upon which features from the curved surface of the earth or the celestial sphere may be mapped
1 b : the process or technique of reproducing a spatial object upon a plane or curved surface or a line by projecting its points; also : a graph or figure so formed
6 a : the act of perceiving a mental object as spatially and sensibly objective; also : something so perceived
6 b : the attribution of one's own ideas, feelings, or attitudes to other people or to objects
7 : the display of motion pictures by projecting an image from them upon a screen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home