3/17/2004

Puerto Rico story, email excerpt to G:

The way I started writing it was not the way I ended up writing it. The story is such: I was depressed and desperate after a relationship breakup in Michigan, and hated the winter, so I wanted an escape. In Puerto Rico, I saw many interesting things (mountains, oceans, cities, carnival), talked to very friendly and interesting local people, met American tourists whom I had a hard time to relate, and done lots of interesting things (driving, hiking, diving, swimming, ...). Then one day two men paid me attention, one young free-spirited Puerto Rico waiter, and one middle aged conservative white American businessman (strangely with Italian and Peruvian background). I ended up making connections with these two opposite men (but they are both opposite of me)--had an affair with one..... and I tried to understand what these events mean to me. In the end, I realized that these events had no more meaning to me than a cool breeze from the sea, a delicious meal, a colorful city...... Something like that. Actually, I came to this realization when I was waiting at the airport coming back. "Everything is just a flavor of Puerto Rico (or life)".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home